The NBA announced Wednesday afternoon that the New York Knicks would lose their 2025 second-round pick as a result of the league’s investigation into the team’s signing of guard Jalen Brunson this summer as a free agent.
“This outcome reflected a finding, following an investigation, that the Knicks engaged in free agency discussions involving Jalen Brunson prior to the date when such discussions were permitted,” the NBA said in a statement announcing the decision.
The league also said the Knicks fully cooperated with the investigation.
Brunson agreed to a four-year, $104 million contract with the Knicks early in free agency this summer, joining a franchise with which he has many long-standing ties. The Knicks hired his father, Rick, as an assistant coach during the offseason, after Rick had previously worked under Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau with the Chicago Bulls and Minnesota Timberwolves. Thibodeau also coached Rick Brunson as an assistant with the Knicks.
Leon Rose, meanwhile, began his extensive career as an agent by signing Rick Brunson as his first client, and he later represented Jalen Brunson before agreeing to become New York’s president of basketball operations. Rose’s son, Sam, is now Brunson’s agent.
Even after losing their 2025 second-round pick, the Knicks are still flush with draft capital in the years to come. Over the next seven years, New York has 11 first-round picks and nine second-rounders at its disposal.
Brunson has been terrific for the Knicks this season, averaging 20.8 points and 6.2 assists for New York, which has won a league-leading eight straight games heading into Wednesday night’s game against the Toronto Raptors.
The winning streak has the Knicks sitting at 18-13 on the season, good for a tie for fifth place in the Eastern Conference with the Philadelphia 76ers, New York’s opponent in the first of five games Sunday on Christmas Day across ESPN networks.